Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Camille on and in the Camino

Hola everyone,
    My Camino continues although the location has changed, but then again so have I.   I am back in the states and home in Carlisle safe and sound, warm and content.  Timing and location location location seem to be words we hear alot when talking about real estate, but I realize how that rings true with life in general.  I am grateful that I managed to arrive in Carlisle a few days before Sandy made her appearance on the East Coast.   I left Santiago on the evening bus to Madrid last Thursday, almost a week ago, arriving at the airport Friday morning around 7ish.  My flight left at 10, so the timing was great.   The airline  made an attempt to sway me in the direction of staying an extra day, complete with hotel, food and transportation to and from the airport, but at that point, I was tired, and ready to come home, so I said bye bye to the voucher and got on a very full plane to JFK aiport.  Long story short, I had an uneventful flight to NYC, an interesting bus ride to the train station in Mid town where I was dropped off, not at the train station, but about 15 blocks away at 3:15 with the train leaving for Harrisburg at 4:00.  So, here is a visual, Camille rushing through mid town Manhattan with a full back pack on my back, looking like a person who has been on the trail for 6 weeks.  When you think about it, nothing all that unusual for NYC.  I made it  to the station on time, caught my train, dozed off and on and had a loving and warm greeting in Harrisburg by my amazing sister Barb. 

I must admit that the shift from Camino time to Non-Camino time has been a bit of an adjustment.  I realize that although I am now  moving toward re-working my relationship with time, I can still move into it with ease and with a Camino like  flow that is fluid and not rigid.  At least that's  my plan.   Time is a paradox and I intend to ponder more about how to embrace it   and be Camille in the Camino while  in Carlisle.  Obviously a long ongoing project :) 

I feel a bit discombobulated, not only from the fact that I am no longer walking 12 miles a day and  carrying everything I own on my back through Northern Spain, but from Sandy and her far reaching devastation and all the people that have been impacted through her force.  My heart and prayers go out to all the people who have lost so much in these past few days and are reeling from what has happened   and  the uncertainly of the future and what will happen.    Mother Nature is certainly a force to be respected and honored and not only brings beauty and joy, but devastation and heartbreak. 

My intent is to write a bit more about my time in Santiago, as I realize I did not write much about actually being in Santiago and how it felt to arrive.  I also intend to post some pictures and possibly have a gathering to talk about my experience, share it with you, celebrate my 60th birthday and celebrate you.  So, stay tuned for more posts from Camille in and on the Camino while in Carlisle.  Embrace the day with gratitude and joy.  We are here.  Love to you all.

8 comments:

  1. So glad you made it home safely, Camille. I will be thinking of you as you attempt to assimilate all that you learned about yourself and the world while walking the Camino with all that is your life here in Carlisle.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Home Camille! My experience of re-entering is that it takes time--of course! Try to drink as many caffe` con leche as you can so that you can gently ease back into Carlisle (I always cook a lot of pasta post Italy!). I love the idea of gathering to hear more about your journey and, of course, to celebrate your 60th so keep me in the loop. Many, many hugs to you, my friend! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Home Camino Traveler!
    Really looking forward to hearing more and seeing your pictures. Larry and I both look forward to your gathering, which by the way is not an option! Who knew that all that walking on the camino prepared you for that 15 block NYC run! Continued blessings as you integrate all that you experienced. Can't wait to see you! Until then, love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Camille - SO glad to know that you have safely returned! I look forward to hearing more about Santiago and to seeing your photos, but also hope that I might be part of your gathering. On a very small scale, I know what re-entry is like after one of my wonderful birding trips. It is so hard to communicate the experience. But the experience is IN you and will always remain and I know your life has changed. Love and hugs from Patti C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camille! Welcome home. Welcome. I have been wondering where you were since your last post. My love and blessings to you. So happy to know you are within WALKING distance from me right now. See you soon... Rob xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey - so great to see you Tuesday. I ended up staying up until 2:15! Worth it to hear our president speak. :) Going to celebrate Mac tomorrow? Let me know . . . .we could go together. Last night was our last with Dani and Sommer. :( Will miss them so. <3 Robyn Had to add the yn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice that the universe sent you one last "walk" to help phase you back into the US. Glad that you are back and that I can still tune in to the blog some mornings for my Camille & coffee. Can't wait to see you. x Lu

    ReplyDelete