Thursday, October 25, 2012


Hola dear friends,  

The journey continues.  I didn't get to write these last couple of days 
because  I was walking during the day, finding the alburgue and then 
going to the powerful ocean,  returning late and then to bed.  My Camino 
rhythm changed primarily because I was on a different Camino, to Finisterre 
and Lires and Muxia.  We had a leisurely start on Wednesday, the latest 
I've ever started my walking and it felt great. It doesn't begin to get 
light here until 8:30 so it is easy to rise with the sun when there isn't 
any real pressure. We were walking about 15k these past 2 days and there 
were few pilgrims taking 2 days   to  walk from Finisterre to Muxia.   
Alot of folks walked the 30 k in one day more because of time constraints 
than anything else. The day was mercurial and we had the rain,Wind, sun, 
more rain, cloudy but no rain, you get the idea. When we arrived in   
Muxia we decided to stay at the municipal alburgue, which means we were 
in a very basic alburguefoes 5 euros, nothing like the night before, 
which is perfect. Here we were in bunkbeds again with about 32 people 
total, but  we spent very little time there, only to sleep as the bus 
left for Santiago at 6:45 this morning. After getting our room we headed 
to the pilgrim office to get another beautiful Compostela showing that 
we walked from Finisterre to Muxia. Look out Carlisle  frame shops here 
I come.  Then we walked out to the Rocks. Wow!!!!  What a powerful place.  
 Legend has it that the virgin Mary came here in a boat to encourage a 
disillusioned St James that he was in fact successful in his attempt to 
bring Christianity to the pagan Druids. The rocks represent her boat. 
My recollections  of the legend around this are a bit sketchy  as I don't 
have the Finisterre /muxia guide book. I intend to purchase it and will 
give you more information when I get my pictures attached.  The rain and 
wind kept visiting  but  the wind and rain and sun and rock and the church 
on the rock, and the vast ocean and lighthouse and clouds and then the 
clear sky for the moon to kiss us brought all the elements into a harmony 
that seemed so profound.  I loved it here !!!!  I also had another magical 
experience and encounter with Manuel a fisherman from Muxia who gave me 
my own private tour of the rocks and their symbolism. He spoke no English 
and I no Spanish yet his love of the sea and this land touched my heart. 
He so wanted  me to know the power of this place.  It was truly another 
magical and powerful  Camino gift.  There are three large rocks of 
significance. One was  a fertility rock where couples will lay together 
and well I'm not sure about the and part. I laid on that rock and let me 
tell you any attempts at conception other than metaphorically could be 
dangerous to the health of the couple.  Why did you lay there you might 
ask. Keep asking ;).  There were actually two replicas, one male and 
one female in wax under the ledge of the rock.  Powerful medicine.   
I did not lay on this rock in the presence of my fisherman guide  
came back later.  Then there was the rock and ledge he led me to that 
will bless you with a long life and good luck if you crawl under it 9 
times.  He would not leave and take me any where else until I crawled 
under at least once.  So, I did. And then went back with my friends 
and crawled under 8 more times.  I am now going to live a long lucky 
life.  There was also rock that was cracked and would rock back and 
forth, bit we didn't spend much time here.   After my tour we shook 
hands and he ealked around a rock with his fishing pole and I never 
saw him again.  Hmmmm!!!!   Then  up to a 360 degree view of the town,   
the ocean and the moon with the night sky as the backdrop. Yes I  had 
my torch with me.  My new word for flashlight.  Feeling the wind on 
my face and looking out onto the vastness of the sea in the moonlight 
is a memory that will forever stay with me as the end of my Camino.    
So here I am on another bus beginning my journey home. Thank you for 
your prayers, energy, blessings, kind words, and belief in me.  They 
and you sustain me and help feed my soul. I will see you soon.   
Love and my embrace to you in my life.  Camille on, in, and a part 
of the Camino 

9 comments:

  1. Wow is all I can say. It all sounds so wonderful, Camille! I am so glad you have done this trek your way. Looking forward to hearing about it in person. Continue with safe travels. Love to you, Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. God's creation is, indeed, magical! So glad you got to Finisterre and Muxia -- not the end of world at all, just another beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect place to end your pilgrimage! It sounds very primal... Kind of where humans meet ocean and the great primordial! You've had your compastela stamped, but this feels like you've had your body mind and soul stamped here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful, how wonderful, an ending to this magnificent journey. And yet we all know it really has not ended, but has propelled you forward to explore the magic and mysteries of the Camino, into deeper understanding of the meaning of what you have accomplished. You have shared yourself with the Camino, and in simple terms - "What goes around, comes around." - the Camino has shared with you. Your sincere kind, loving, generous ways were received and without hesitation, you received the sincere kindness, love, and generousity by all you met. We are all one, truly. Love you, dear soulful Camille; I look forward to seeing you and basking in the warmth of your Camino stories. Ed Sees Sun Birth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Camille,
    Your writing brings tears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear Camille
    The beauty of it all! I feel gratitude for and pride in your journey. Thank you for embracing us. I will be thinking of you as you journey across the sky and ocean. Carlisle awaits you with joy and anticipation.
    Much love,
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Millie,
    I am moved to tears...what an amazing gift you have given to us!

    safe travels home.
    love and xo's
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ciao Camille,
    Just back from NYC--a long wk-end with Julie. Yesterday we walked 6 miles and I found myself thinking of you-said to Julie--Wow!! Camille has been walking twice this much every day for 6 weeks--I feel like a light-weight! We both paused on the streets on NYC--much hustle and bustle-- to honor you--as you are our role model-not just for physical walking, but more imortantly, the spiritual journey that you are on. Thank You! Also, the rock ledge of conception/infertitly--how perfect was that as you have conceived and have been in labor and giving birth to YOU!! I love how the Universe provides! Hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the rest of your journey mi amiga <3<3<3 you!

    ReplyDelete