Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Hola,
I am sitting on the beach on Lire listening to the surf at sunset. A sunny warm day of walking from Finisterre after a rainy cool day yesterday at the lighthouse. But as is always true here the weather changes as often as my mood sometimes, you wait and there is a surprise, no rain, mist or a chance to watch the rain move in off the ocean
Our bus trip from Santiago to Finisterre was beautiful winding around the and alot of villages along the way., although nit through the old sections.  We arrived in Finisterre and went to the Alburgue a friend recommended to check in and drop off our packs before the 3.5 k walk to  and from the lighthouse and the end of the world. It was great To walk without packs and  I felt  rather light footed although I  missed my sticks and I know they missed me:). The walk was leisurely and at a slow pace as we kept stopping to take photos and visit with people returning from the lighthouse. The rain was intermittent and the fog and mist played hide and seek dancing in and out and teasing us as we looked for photo ops.  At one point I looked  down  and in a clear moment saw goats clinging to the craggy rocks above the sea.  A definite photo op!!!  Then of course we went in to the bar to fry oug and warm up with  a cafe con leche before we attempted to burn an article of clothing or any other burdens we wanted to release.  I guess  my clothes need to come home with me and I released all I needed to release because we could not get a fire going or the paper burn.  Too much wind and the matches an paper were damp as well. No matter.  It was beautiful and wild and rocky and I can see why the Celtic people of this land  thought it was the end of the world.  Ocean ocean and more ocean off the rocky shore.  Then a great dinner of turbot probably caught fresh that day and short visits with people I'd met along my journey who came to Finisterre as well. Today while walking to Lire we met a woman who recommended a hostel or private pension.  What a find.  Clean beds and a  private shower with sheets and towels for 15 euros a person. The place is amazing with granite or marble floors and window sills   I think granite because it appears to be so plentiful here. We are the only guests although there is a steady flow of customers in the bar cafe.  I just finished a great dinner glad I'm walking another 15 k tomorrow and I'm sitting in the cafe-bar with a soccer/football game on the tv.  Some things are the same everywhere.  We spent about 2 hours or more on the beach watching the sun set and the moon rise listening to the surf and generally absorbing the sea vibes.  Tomorrow is my last day walking and I plan to soak it all into my pores.   Not sure of the weather but we will walk in whatever comes our way and I will imprint on my mind all mother nature gifts me tomorrow.  Donna, Mary and I came together in a true Camino fashion of meant to be and "oh this is why I missed the first bus" kind of event. 3 women from different corners of the world. Australia, South Africa and America walking their final Camino days to the sea.  Being open to possibilities a big teaching on the Camino.  Okay dear  ones time for a shower and then bed  My belly is full, my heart is full and my spirit light.  Life is good. Love to you all and embrace the day and all it brings.  Camille in and on the Camino
Sent from my iPhone

9 comments:

  1. Now you can truly say that you've been to the end of the world. What a magical place it is. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To walk to the end of the world and back...Your adventure has been poetry in motion. Love, your Sol Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't need to burn anything.... what powerful medicine. Good job burning off what no longer served you on your journey. I am soooo excited to hug you upon your return.

    Huge heart smile
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Camille, thanks for taking me along with you from Carlisle to St Jean to the end of the world. It's been a wonderfully exciting and enriching journey. Lot's of hot tea drank while blog reading, following on google maps, sometimes with the little yellow man showing me pictures of your stops. At times with eyes closed, head back, my inner sight carried me to be with you. Love you, dear packmate and look forward to seeing you when you return. Ed SSB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ciao Camille,

    My heart is overflowing with pride, amazement, and love for what you have done. Travel safely and come home to all of us who have followed you on your journey and are waiting to "Embrace the Day with YOU!!" Stammi Bene! (Translation: Be Well for me!) Hugs to You, My Brave Friend,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love to you Camille . . . hope your last day walking was a good one. :) It sounds pretty spectacular. Enjoy every minute. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  8. 52 times you have shared your adventures, joys, challenges, and Camino lessons with us. Thank you so much for being so faithful to your friends and the experience. We all have many pictures and thoughts that you have given us over the past weeks, and they will always be a part of us. Muchas gracias, my friend. Lu

    ReplyDelete